26 March 2011

Feels Like 18

It feels like 18 degrees.  Oh March.  Sigh.  This isn't water flowing out of the hose.  It is water FROZEN in the hose and waiting to melt in the sunshine.


Because March is tromping out like a lion and no, I am no longer bouncing around barefoot in the yard, I've checked off a few other inside gardeny to dos.

Before doing any digging, or tilling, or sod ripping, etc in your yard it is best to call and get the yard marked for lines you wouldn't want to hit while getting it ready for your yarden.  I dialed 811 which is a call before you dig number.  I had the fortune of talking with an actual person who asked me several questions - like what we were planning to do (garden), where in the yard we needed it marked (the whole thing, front, back and side yards) and if we would be doing this all within the next 14 days (yes, hopefully).  She gave me a dig numer and said they would all be out within the next 48hrs from my call to mark the yard.  As you can see we have 3 different markings.  AT&T, MidAmerican Energy, and the city.

I need to now figure out what "OK" means with a flag in it.  At least the energy company spray painted lines, so I know not to get crazy within 18" of where they marked.  But what the hell does "OK" mean?  Okay if you don't dig right here, or okay, we've marked your yard?  I'll be giving them a ring.

The good news is that with the chill, the record breaking flooding we were supposed to be getting has slowed down and decreased in intensity, at least for now.  The soil also is wet enough it has protected the sprouts in the raised bed, and that's wonderful.

And sunshine, though it is still cold cold cold out, the sun is keeping the cold frame warm and our sprouts are getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment